Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Demon

February 2008

One day I was at home. Dark clouds rolled in and blocked out the sun. In the sudden gloom I turned on a light, but nothing happened. No light came on. I grabbed a flashlight and headed into the black basement to find the circuit breaker. At the bottom of the stairs I hesitated. Something felt wrong. I stepped into the basement hall and the door to the kitchen at the top of the stairs immediately slammed shut. Alarmed, I stepped back onto the stairs and fumbled with the flashlight. My arm brushed against something soft and cold. Something was there on the stairs with me. I was suddenly thrown against the wall. Then whatever it was got a hold of my neck, suffocating me. I brought my flashlight up; the light fell across a very large humanoid creature. It was blacker than the dark basement. It had no eyes and only a slit of a mouth. It was eight feet tall.

I fought free. Somehow I found a sharp object and was able to overpower the creature and chop it into small pieces. The pieces bled, turned into black ooze, and drained through cracks in the cement floor. Shaken, I left the house. No other buildings were visible as I ran through the fields. Our house was alone on the Highland Moore. I eventually arrived at the next building. I was winded. An hour or more had past. This building was a gray, dank, stone house. It was very old but had been converted into a restaurant many years ago.

Entering I found myself in a pleasant little Burger King. It was lunch time and quite crowded. I got a burger and sat with some friends. Dark clouds formed again outside. I was a little worried, but figured it was just a stormy day. For some reason I went down into the basement of the restaurant which was old, cobwebby, and obviously unimproved from a century ago. It grew dark again. The power was still on at least. One corner of the basement, in a back room, was still completely dark. I eyed the room warily. The blackness gathered form and suddenly the creature leapt out at me. We battled and I screamed for help. One of my friends jumped down the stairs. We managed to subdue the creature again and chop it into bits. We were both wounded and chopping it up was extremely difficult. This time I gathered up the creature before it could ooze away and threw it into the furnace. It made a terrific howling noise and smelled awful.

I thanked my friend. I told him to stay here and enjoy his lunch. I needed to leave. He of course wanted to know what had just attacked us. I was putting the pieces together but didn’t want to say anything to upset him.

I trekked further north through the empty and windy land to the house of my uncle. It had been in our family for at least ten generations and was once the clan headquarters. I needed help, for I was afraid this was not the last attack. I was afraid I had yet again failed to kill the creature. For how can you kill something that is already dead? It was a Demon that had come for me. I’m not sure how, but it had come from Hell and somehow taken physical form. Foul and decrepit as it was, it was extremely powerful and bent on killing me for some reason. Or so I figured since both of its attacks had centered on me. If I was correct, it would come a third time and I would need a better weapon. I also needed some rest.

From the house of my uncle I took the family sword. It was a large but surprisingly light sword that was as old as our clan and rumored to have been handed to our ancestor by one of the very archangels guarding heaven. I hoped the rumor was true.

The sun was setting as I hiked towards home. A sudden rushing sound scared me. I dove onto the ground and rolled as a large green dragon slashed through the air where I had been. It rose into the cloudy sky and vanished. I slowly got to my feet and unsheathed the sword from the scabbard on my back. I could hear the creature circling in the wispy clouds not far above me.

The sun was sinking behind the distant hills. I needed shelter. Burger King was not far away and my closest bet. I ran. The clouds thickened over the distant building. It knew I headed there.

For some reason the Demon stayed out of sight. I made it to Burger King without any other attacks. It was the dinner rush. My friends were still there, now having dinner. The sun had set and its faint red glow was being blocked out by the sinking clouds that were engulfing the restaurant. By the time I had explained to the costumers the danger we were all in it was completely black outside. Nothing could be seen out of the many large glass windows. I stepped to one cautiously. The Demon’s green head pushed out of the blackness and into the glass, cracking it. I jumped back, heart racing. Its wings thumped against the wall. It was not too large, its body probably only eight feet long. It was still humanoid. Only it had given itself large wings and a sinuous tail. I gathered all the costumers into the center of the building. We were as far from the windows as we could get. The windows wouldn’t stop the Demon. It was only toying with us.

Screams from the basement stopped my thoughts. I kicked open the basement door. No lights were on. I flipped the switch and revealed two children at the base of the stairs staring at the green shadow that had formed between us. The shadow lunged at them. Sword first, I plunged down on it. The winged Demon solidified. One child died. My sword was able to slice right through the Demon like paper. The fight was terrible. I was bleeding and ended with broken ribs and nose but was able to slice the Demon into submission. As it thrashed in pieces on the ground I sliced it up even more. I knew that that was what you do with Demons. But this time I did something different afterwards that I hoped would truly banish the Demon. I can’t remember what though. I returned upstairs to the terrified people feeling relatively confident I had won.


Primary colors: Black Green Gray

No comments: